About the Editorial Council
On February 6, 1950, the Publication Committee of the Academy of Denture Prosthetics met with officers of the C. V. Mosby Company in Chicago. “The purpose of this meeting was to explain to the members of the Mosby Company the need for a magazine devoted exclusively to the subject of denture prosthesis, wherein the papers of the various denture groups would find expression.” It was agreed at this meeting that the American Denture Society, the Academy of Denture Prosthetics and the Pacific Coast Society of Prosthodontists would unite in support of such a Journal.
On April 29, 1950, in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, the concept of a Journal of Prosthetic Dentistry was initiated and a nine-member Editorial Council was developed. Dr. Louis S. Block from the American Denture Society was selected Chair of the Editorial Council and charged with the responsibility of negotiating with Mr. Joel A. Rogers, Vice-President of the C.V. Mosby Company, to establish the first business agreement to publish the Journal.
The final contract to publish the Journal was presented to the Officers of the founding organizations and the Editorial Council members for approval on October 20, 1950. A Western Union Telegram recorded this historic event. Dr. Louis S. Block wired Mr. Joel A. Rogers that, “Presidents and Secretaries of American Denture Society, Academy of Denture Prosthetics and Pacific Coast Society of Prosthodontists as well as the Editor of the new Journal, and the Chairman of the Editorial Council have signed the contract. This should suffice to authorize you to proceed with plans for publication.”
On October 27, 1950, at the Seaside Hotel in Atlantic City, New Jersey, Dr. Block called the meeting of the Editorial Council to order. Dr. W. Les Warburton made a motion that was seconded by Dr. Thomas E. J. Shanahan that the Editorial Council officially approve the publication of The Journal of Prosthetic Dentistry. It was unanimously approved. The first issue of The Journal of Prosthetic Dentistry was published in March 1951.